Did you know grandparents are cool? We sure did! And we’re not alone because a recent survey revealed 68% of grandparents consider themselves “cooler” than their grandparents. This coolness factor can be seen in how grandma and grandpa engage in activities like playing the latest video games, riding bikes, or being that trusted confidant for their grandkids. Grandparents are bringing the magic, and this wonder is felt even deeper during the holidays.
Whether it’s going over to Memaw and Pepaw’s for an epic dinner or spending “virtual time” with Nana and Papa, grandparents are an integral part of making holiday magic happen. One way to add to this year’s Easter excitement is to assemble a basket for your grandkids created especially by you! (These would also be great for Passover gifts.) To get your inspiration, well…hopping, here are five no-fail suggestions for surprises your grandkiddos will love.
1. Decorating Cookie Kit: The Color My Cookie design kit comes with a yummy perfectly pre-baked and iced cookie, edible watercolors, and tasty decor. So, grab a paint brush and a little quality time together and get ready to decorate! When your masterpiece is complete, maybe your grandkid will let you sample this one-of-a-kind creation. (Kits available at Colormycookie.com)
2. Library Card or Subscription to the Epic Reading App: Encourage a love of reading by assisting your grandkid in getting their very own library card. To obtain a card, fill out a form online (or in person at the branch of your choice) and then watch your grandkids practice pursuing their interests. If trekking to a library isn’t an option, check out gifting a subscription to the reading app Epic available on iTunes. For kids 12 and under, Epic has thousands of books and audiobooks from which to choose.
3. Small STEAM project: Science, technology, engineering, art, and math combine to form STEAM and these hands-on projects increase critical thinking, problem-solving skills, and, oh…they’re super fun! Here are two projects your grandkids will adore! Rubik’s Cube – Build It Solve It Kit (ages 8 and up) or 2-Pack Make A Wind Chime Crafts Kits (ages 3 and up)
4. Gift Card: Giving a gift card allows your grandkids to learn about managing money and work on their decision making abilities. Especially great for older kids, gift cards come in all price ranges. Whether you choose a gift card specific to a store or one that acts like a prepaid debit card (Visa and American Express have these) either choice is a great way to give grandkids that feeling of independence not always found in kiddom.
5. LOL Surprise Dolls and Lego Minifigure Packs: For the younger grade-schoolers, these gifts bring on the fun when first opened. Each LOL Surprise Doll is a many level unboxing experience giving kids the chance to open tiny surprises all in one gift. The Lego Minifigure Packs come with one or more accessories and a display plate. (Available in Target stores, The Lego Store at Oxmoor, or Amazon and run under $12.00.)
By Tonilyn Hornung
P.S. Check out our April calendar of events. Also, if you are looking for ideas and recipes for Easter or Passover.
Leave a Reply